[AgMIP] Post-doctoral Research Associate Position in Cropping Systems Modeling

agmip at lists.agmip.org agmip at lists.agmip.org
Sat Jan 11 20:29:26 BRST 2014

********** Post-doctoral Research Associate Position in Cropping Systems Mo=
deling **************

I am looking for a post-doctoral research associate to join my research gro=
up at Washington State University (WSU), Pullman, Washington State, USA. Th=
is is to start immediately if a good candidate is available or whenever a s=
uitable candidate is found. Salary is highly competitive and commensurable =
with qualifications, and the position is available for a minimum of two yea=
rs. Experience with application of a crop simulation model(s) in a research=
 project or doctoral dissertation is required, and familiarity with compute=
r systems and tools, GIS software, R statistics, and a programming language=
 are desirable.  On-the-job training will be provided as needed, but abilit=
y to work independently within a team is expected.

We are updating capabilities and applying CropSyst, a cropping systems simu=
lation model, to a climate change assessment project (impact and mitigation=
) in the US Pacific Northwest. We have developed a Unix-based grid-based pl=
atform for CropSyst using STATGO soil data and 4x4 km weather downscaling u=
sing 16 GCMs that seem reliable for the US Pacific Northwest. With this pla=
tform we can perform regional simulations using high-performance desktop co=
mputers and the High-Performance Computer Center at WSU.  In this project, =
we will add at least the DSSAT and EPIC models to this platform.  Dr. Gerri=
t Hoogenboom, who also is a faculty member at WSU, will provide expertise f=
or the use of the DSSAT model in the project.

This project is closely associated with activities in the Agricultural Mode=
l Inter-comparison and Improvement Project (AgMIP) and the European MODEXTR=
EME project that is just starting, offering the research associate the oppo=
rtunity to connect to a global community of modelers. In addition, several =
other projects are being conducted in our agricultural systems computer sim=
ulation group thus providing a rich opportunity for advancement.

Individuals interested in this position should send an e-mail indicating in=
terest and qualifications for this position and a CV to Dr. Claudio St=F6ck=
le at stockle at wsu.edu <mailto:stockle at wsu.edu>.

Claudio St=F6ckle
Professor and Chair
Department of Biological Systems Engineering
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6120
e-mail: stockle at wsu.edu <mailto:stockle at wsu.edu>
Phone: 509-335-1578