[AgMIP] AGU Session on Climate Hazards

agmip at lists.agmip.org agmip at lists.agmip.org
Mon Jul 16 16:57:23 BRT 2018

Dear All,

With apologies for any cross-posting, I wanted to draw your attention to an AGU session that I am co-hosting (with Claudia Tebaldi and Jana Sillmann) on the use of impacts- and risk-relevant hazards in climate studies: GC050. From Hazard to Risk: Indicators of climate and weather extremes for impacts

We seek leading studies from the AgMIP community (and beyond) that can identify weather- and climate-related metrics directly relevant for the quantification of risk, including exposure and vulnerability aspects.  The session is not restricted to agricultural studies, but we expect that agriculture and food security will be a leading sector for contributions.  A number of climate extreme indices (e.g., ETCCDI's) have successfully provided  a range of metrics to record and study extremes in the physical world; however, we hope to move towards identifying indicators that better connect to impacts by either directly incorporating a measure of vulnerability/exposure/damages or by facilitating translation into them. Examples could be temperature threshold exceedances damaging to crops, start- or end-of-season agro-climatic metrics, critical over-winter temperatures for agricultural pests, metrics of heat extremes connected to detrimental health effects (or requiring operational response), etc.  We welcome submissions that develop or contrast such metrics and also those that demonstrate their potential with further interdisciplinary work. We are also interested in addressing uncertainties related to indicator definition, projections and/or resultant impacts. We intend this session to inform the 6th Assessment Report of the IPCC, specifically chapters addressing climate hazards, extremes, regional climate information, and risk assessment.

You can submit an abstract at the following link until August 1st: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/46373

Please also help us spread the word!

Thank you and we hope to see you in Washington DC, 10-14 Dec 2018.

All the best,

       - Alex, Claudia, and Jana
Alex Ruane
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
AgMIP Science Coordinator and Climate Team co-Lead
+1-212-678-5640