[AgMIP] Online tutorials Tues 1700GMT, Fri 0900GMT on Arabidopsis Framework Model

agmip at lists.agmip.org agmip at lists.agmip.org
Mon Dec 1 09:45:21 BRST 2014

For plant modellers,

We are now using our whole-plant Framework Model to understand how the gene circuit of the circadian clock affects plant physiology. This is the work I presented at the Wheat modelling meeting in Clermont Ferrand, and Yin Hoon brought to the MACSUR meeting last February.

So far as we know there is no other such model for Arabidopsis growth. One version of the model was created in a user-friendly simulation environment, specifically for non-modellers to simulate and test hypotheses. We're offering real-time tutorials online to help you to use this model - please see below and in the attached PDF.

The software grows an Arabidopsis plant 'live' on screen, so it also has some potential as a teaching tool. A lot of plant physiology is included (often in a very simplified form) in the four models that Yin Hoon Chew combined to make the Framework Model:
-photosynthesis and starch/sugar partitioning,
-source-sink partitioning at the organ level in the rosette,
-control of development by ambient temperature, vernalisation and photoperiod,
-control of photoperiodism by the circadian clock (of course!).

All the instructions are already public in our PlaSMo resource, see below, but sometimes it's also helpful to have a 'live' demonstration with an opportunity to ask questions. Based on these sessions, we'll record a version that addresses the most common points and make it public.

Best wishes,
Andrew