[AgMIP] PhD in Edinburgh: Linking Crop Science and Systems Biology models

agmip at lists.agmip.org agmip at lists.agmip.org
Fri Feb 22 13:43:38 BRT 2013

We invite applications to a groundbreaking PhD studentship, modelling plant biology and crop science. Details are attached as a PDF file.

The project is fully-funded for UK and resident EU students through a BBSRC industrial CASE studentship.
Contact andrew.millar at ed.ac.uk for informal enquiries. Only online applications will be accepted, by 31 March 2013:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=12&cw_xml=details.php

Both Crop Scientists and Systems Biologists model plant biology, but their expertise cannot easily be linked to address Food Security, in part because their models are so different. In building our web portal
(www.plasmo.ed.ac.uk) for diverse models from ecology to systems biology, we showed that Simulistics' Simile software can handle both types of model, but no standard biological modelling language is broad enough to represent the resulting models. SynthSys integrates leading UK researchers in languages for modelling biological systems. We aim to develop a candidate modelling standard, based on our past and current work, that could be suitable to represent Digital Organisms in future.

The project will provide dual expertise training in plant science and modelling, with experience in commercial software development, in the outstanding, interdisciplinary environment of SynthSys. First-class academic credentials in a numerate discipline are required to take advantage of this unusual opportunity.

The supervisory team:  Prof. Andrew Millar FRS, School of Biological Sciences (main supervisor); Prof. Vincent Danos, School of Informatics, Director of SynthSys; Dr. Robert Muetzelfeldt, Simulistics Ltd.

Further information: www.amillar.org; www.synthsys.ed.ac.uk; www.simulistics.com

Prof. Andrew Millar FRS
SynthSys
University of Edinburgh
C.H. Waddington Building
King's Buildings
Edinburgh EH9 3JD
UK

+44 131 651 3325

--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.